Curious about the future of Dynamics GP?
Let’s finally put this to rest… Dynamics GP is NOT being sunset by Microsoft.
During SummitNA 2022, Mike Morton, VP of SMB Business Applications at Microsoft, spoke during the Dynamics GP General Session about the future of Dynamics GP. Although what was said on stage confused Partners and Customers alike, Mike issued a clarifying message that clearly communicates Microsoft’s commitment to Dynamics GP. This clarity is excellent news for the Dynamics GP Community! It means you can stop listening to the noise from competitors and Partners who only want to sell a new ERP implementation. For the full statement, you can follow this link; however, here are the essential takeaways from Mike’s post.
- Microsoft is fully committed to supporting our Dynamics GP customers. This will include new releases (e.g., 18.6, 18.7, 18.8, …) for the foreseeable future on the same timeline and schedule as we have done in the past several years, as outlined in the GP Modern Support Lifecycle.
- If you are an existing GP customer, you can be confident in using Dynamics GP to run your business for years to come.
- New releases will contain regulatory (tax), security updates, and hotfixes, ensuring GP remains up to date.
- New releases will also include updates in usability, reliability, addressing top customer issues, and other areas that are critical in ensuring businesses run successfully on GP.
- At the Summit we did make a statement about ‘new features’. This intent was to share that we do not expect significant new capabilities in Dynamics GP, such as new modules. Microsoft’s major investments and innovations will be in other Dynamics 365 offerings.
- The GP ISV (Independent Software Vendors) ecosystem has always been strong and will continue releasing new add-ons that extend core Dynamics GP.
In addition to the clarifying statements from Mike above, the Dynamics GP Roadmap is clearly published on Microsoft’s website. The Future of Dynamics GP – Dynamics GP Lifecycle
Your Future on Dynamics GP
Among all of the FUD (Fear, Uncertainly and Doubt) that is being spread by dishonest competitors and opportunistic Partners, nothing has changed in how Dynamics GP is supported or how major new features are delivered to customers. That’s because, for the last decade or so, Microsoft has left major feature enhancements to the ISV (Independent Software Vendor) community . Dynamics GP is the most widely used Dynamics product in North America, with tens of thousands of customers, and, it’s not because of Microsoft. Dynamics GP is so successful because the ISV Community continues to develop the functionality customers ask for. For example, PowerGP Online created PowerGP Banking which integrates directly with your bank, downloads transactions and auto-matches those transactions to transactions in Dynamics GP. This is something customers have been asking for from Microsoft but we, an ISV, brought to market.
If you are hearing rumors or are concerned about your future on Dynamics GP, we would love to speak with you and help you have a conversation with your Partner. If your Partner is telling you that Dynamics GP is dead, being discontinued by Microsoft, or pushing another product implementation, there are plenty of other Partners out there who are committed to Dynamics GP. PowerGP Online, would be happy to make an introduction to any of these great partners.
Changing your ERP should be driven by a business decision, not because you are hearing lies about the future of one of the most trusted and loved ERP solutions available for SMB.
For more information about Microsoft’s commitment to Dynamics GP, check out this blog from Microsoft’s Terry Heley.